Sunday, October 7, 2012

Interview with a Baristo

Our campus has a wonderful coffee shop known as "Old Main Café". Dan Steinbach, a senior, is our one and only baristó. Dan was kind enough to answer some questions for me about coffee.

What is the most popular coffee drink at the Café (in your opinion) and why is it so popular?
  • The Schnookie Cookie, because people like something that's cold and has ice cream, espresso, and Oreo in it... and it's a pretty sick.
How do you make a perfect cup of coffee?
  • With my perfect hands.... it takes the right grounds (Berre's Bros), hot water, and then the right steaming of milk.
What is the best method of preparation? (Drip, percolator, French Press, Espresso?)
  • Per/Espresso. I think you get the most flavor out when you use a percolator but grind the bean into an espresso consistency. 
What is your favorite coffee drink and how do you go about preparing it? (steps etc.)
  • The Baristó's Dream: ice, add 8oz of ice cream and 4 oz of espresso water, add the cookie and cream powder with a little bit of white chocolate, add 3 squirts of strawberry or raspberry and 2 squirts of cupcake. Put in the blender and blend. 
Thanks for allowing me to interview you Steinbach. I'll have to ask for a Baristó's Dream next time I stop by the Old Main Café! Now I wish I'd brought my espresso maker to school with me. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment